Past Events & Recordings
We last held a traditional SOD Blitz in 2019 (pre-COVID). Information about that blitz:
Test your trees for free! Monitor disease spread in a rainy year, lookout for new dangerous strains, and test oaks for SOD with OakSTeP
Things are not "as usual." Come learn to:
New this year:
- Leaves will be tested for the new and aggressive EU1 pathogen strain. Already in Oregon
forests, we need to look for it in California to have a chance of eliminating it if found.
- Introducing the OakSTeP program that will provide an easy and affordable way for licensed arborists, tree care specialists, preserve mangers and qualified government workers to test oaks for SOD. Join the OakSTep program for FREE if you register in person during a SOD blitz ($200 value), and get priority for sample processing.
- Thinking of doing something to control SOD, or have done so already? We'll have a questionnaire and important information and tips at the trainings.
- El Fairfield Osborn Preserve blitz es un evento bilingue (Inglés y Español)
Six meetings took place this year in Petaluma, Yorkville (docent-led at SSU'sGalbreath Preserve), Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, and Penngrove (docent-led at SSU's Osborn Preserve) from April 25th - 27th.
The Osborn Preserve blitz in Penngrove was a bilingual event (English & Spanish) / Este es un evento bilingue (Inglés y Español)
Unless otherwise noted, SOD blitz events consist of a one-hour training, then you collect leaves at locations of your choice and drop them back at the meeting site that weekend. We drive leaves to UC Berkeley Lab for analysis on Monday. You get results in early fall.
There is no cost for this activity. Hosted by the UC Master Gardener Program of Sonoma County SOD Specialists and the University of California Cooperative Extension, Sonoma County. Funding provided by the USDA Forest Service.
2019 Education Workshops
ISA CEUs available!
1) Monday, November 18, 10am-3pm, UCCE Sonoma Office, 133 Aviation Blvd #109, Santa Rosa
2) Tuesday, November 19, 10am-3pm, Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens,18220 CA-1, Fort Bragg
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION: Fall 2019 SOD events flier