Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources. The program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
Beef Checkoff funds have been used to create a video aimed at millennials that explains how beef goes from pasture to plate. Check it out at: http://factsaboutbeef.com/2015/04/16/beef-pasture-to-plate/
UC Davis Rangeland Watershed Lab announced that Dr. Leslie Roche, formerly Lead Scientist at the Lab has accepted the offer from UC Davis Plant Sciences and UCCE as our new statewide Rangeland Management Specialist in Cooperative Extension. She formally...
Great news! Local shearer, Matt Gilbert has gotten approval for his new woolen mill. He expects to start processing wool in Ukiah by this fall. See the attached Ukiah Daily Journal article.
As the instructor for the Santa Rosa Junior College Range Class, I give students an education about using livestock grazing as a tool in Sonoma County to manage resources; especially in our regional and state parks. I took my class...
National Cattlemen's Beef Association, California Beef Council and the UC Davis Animal Science Department present Curt Pate's Livestock Handling Workshop Tuesday, April 28th, 2015 Animal Science Cole Facility Arena 4 – 5:30...
On This Site
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs. It also includes Decision Support Matrices for rangeland ecosystems. The DSM's provide an outline, complete with references, to assist with the management of specific ecosystems that can be found on California rangelands.
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Our Rangelands: Exploring the rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Resources - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- UCCE Livestock & Range Beef Cattle Information - Within the beef pages you’ll find information from UCCE livestock & natural resources advisors and specialists; UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine researchers; and Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) scientists grouped by topics.
- eXtension Beef Cattle - links to the eXtension resources for Beef Cattle
- eXtension Small Meat Processors - links to the eXtension resources for Small Meat Processors.