Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheet addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- eXtension Livestock Management - resources for beef cattle
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
This is a re-post of a Meeting Place article. Important for those of you looking at organic meat production. "USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) on Thursday proposed amending organic livestock and poultry production requirements to include...
The following is reprinted from ASI. For the first time some risk management tools are available to sheep producers. Now if predation losses were covered . . . U.S. Sheep Industry Offers Own Insurance to Producers Whether it's thru futures or crop...
Check out this great blog by Anne Burkholder where she talks about growing beef the Nebraskan way and tackles some of tough questions some have regarding beef production. https://feedyardfoodie.wordpress.com/
The 5th annual UCD FARMS Beef Improvement Symposium will be held on January 9, 2016 in Gladys Hall. See the link below for more information. http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/clubs/farm/2016_beef_improvement_symposium/index.cfm
Weed Eating Biomachines: How Grazing Livestock can Help Control Invasive Weeds In any good weed control program there are some basic steps that should be followed. In general, these steps...