Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheets addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- Posters - resource information for poster sessions starting in 2020.
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
"To stop or slow the spread of this newly invasive plant in California, we must quickly develop effective management tools and an informed management approach." With several weather related events, fire, extreme heat, etc., there has been an increase...
Mendocino/Lake Sheep Producers: See details below. If you can help us out let me know. UC Davis & UCCE Looking for Producers to Participate in Study Investigating the Relationship between Docility and Maternal Behavior in...
As previously mentioned in the September 2018 issue of the Farm Bureau newsletter, the frequency, intensity, and size of wildfires in northern California have increased. This trend is alarming given that California's fire season is expected to become...
Below is a an article released by the US Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station. It is worth a read by anyone interested in rangelands and open space and the impacts from urban development. Especially chilling for...
This spring, I am teaching the Santa Rosa Junior College Rangeland Management class. This is my opportunity to educate aspiring students on the importance of rangelands and how to manage them. Their educational experiences include...