Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources. The program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blog
Since many of the California producers in the North Bay use Rancho for cattle harvest this repost of an article by Rita Jane Gabbett from the Meating Place is timely. "Rancho Feeding Corp., based in Petaluma, Calif., is recalling...
There will be a drought management workshop scheduled at the Sierra Research and Extension Center on January 29th. See the attached flyer for details. The December forage clipping at Sierra Research and Extension Center was 47.38 lbs /ac. The...
The California Beef Cattle Improvement Association (CBCIA) & Merck are sponsoring Cattlemen's Day at the Cow Palace on October 19, 2013. Topics and speakers include: Beef Industry Sustainability - Jude Capper, PhD. Issues with Antibiotic Use in...
In an earlier blog post this year I shared information on an app for the IPhone and Android smartphones that provided auction market information on cattle. The app was called Cattle Talk Mobile and at the time there was not any...
After almost two years, the Mendocino County Meat Plant (MCMP) Study is completed and the 92-page report is available for download as a pdf from either the UCCE Mendocino County web site (http://cemendocino.ucanr.edu/files/171140.pdf) or the Mendocino...
On This Site
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs. It also includes Decision Support Matrices for rangeland ecosystems. The DSM's provide an outline, complete with references, to assist with the management of specific ecosystems that can be found on California rangelands.
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Our Rangelands: Exploring the rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Resources - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- UCCE Livestock & Range Beef Cattle Information - Within the beef pages you’ll find information from UCCE livestock & natural resources advisors and specialists; UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine researchers; and Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) scientists grouped by topics.
- eXtension Beef Cattle - links to the eXtension resources for Beef Cattle
- eXtension Small Meat Processors - links to the eXtension resources for Small Meat Processors.