Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources. The program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
For all you redbook fans and users out there, now there is an excel spreadsheet that is available as a companion tool and can be used in conjunction with your redbook. To download the spreadsheet for free or to order a mini-cd for $8 go to:...
A video that looks back at the reintroduction of the wolves into Yellowstone National Park and the subsequent rebound in their population is available at: http://www.retroreport.org/video/wolves-at-the-door/
A new series of four videos on low stress cattle handling are available through the beef quality assurance program. To view the videos, visit: http://www.bqa.org/videos.aspx
A new video series highlighting the daily activities of farmers and ranchers is available from the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance. The series includes such titles as: How to Milk 1,200 Cows and How to Gather 50,000 Eggs a Day. To see all the videos...
At the end of 2014, the US Fish and Wildlife Service sent notice to Kevin McCarthy's office that they will no longer be pursuing the establishment of the proposed California Foothills Legacy Area (CFLA). Reasons given include Congressional concerns and a...
On This Site
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs. It also includes Decision Support Matrices for rangeland ecosystems. The DSM's provide an outline, complete with references, to assist with the management of specific ecosystems that can be found on California rangelands.
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Our Rangelands: Exploring the rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Resources - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- UCCE Livestock & Range Beef Cattle Information - Within the beef pages you’ll find information from UCCE livestock & natural resources advisors and specialists; UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine researchers; and Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) scientists grouped by topics.
- eXtension Beef Cattle - links to the eXtension resources for Beef Cattle
- eXtension Small Meat Processors - links to the eXtension resources for Small Meat Processors.