Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheet addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- eXtension Livestock Management - resources for beef cattle
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
The following comes from Dr. Alda Pires at UC Davis. Please consider participating in the survey. Survey to identify the needs of small-scale farms and Urban animal agriculture Producers in the Western States of the US: livestock and poultry owners The...
The Annual UC Davis Horse Day is right around the corner! Be sure to register before October 7th to receive the discounted rate: http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/events/horse-day If you have a group of 10 or more, please email Kathryn at...
Announcement reprinted from California Wool Growers' Association newsletter. I was part of the team and it reflects input from Mendocino and Lake County ranchers as well as the rest of the state. California has experienced five large-scale,...
The following is a repost from ASAS Taking Stock. By Jan Suszkiw, Agricultural Research Service, USDA USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) has launched a new smartphone application (“app”) that forecasts conditions...
In California, including Sonoma County, lands deemed “open space or protected land”, whether in private or public ownership, are frequently grazed by beef cattle. Cattle grazing supports the raising of beef cattle for meat and other...