Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources. The program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blog
UCANR Seeks Public Comment on Proposed Livestock, Forestry and Natural Resources CE Positions By July 21, 2014
The University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources created a call in January of 2014 for new UCCE Advisor and Specialist positions. The goal for filling these positions is to strengthen and rebuild the UC ANR network to meet programmatic gaps...
Below is a repost from UC Davis College of Agriculture and Environmental Science newsletter. Most will recognized the name, Mel George, be it colleague, mentor, innovator or friend. I wanted to share this since so many of you are familiar with our...
Since many of the California producers in the North Bay use Rancho for cattle harvest this repost of an article by Rita Jane Gabbett from the Meating Place is timely. "Rancho Feeding Corp., based in Petaluma, Calif., is recalling...
There will be a drought management workshop scheduled at the Sierra Research and Extension Center on January 29th. See the attached flyer for details. The December forage clipping at Sierra Research and Extension Center was 47.38 lbs /ac. The...
The California Beef Cattle Improvement Association (CBCIA) & Merck are sponsoring Cattlemen's Day at the Cow Palace on October 19, 2013. Topics and speakers include: Beef Industry Sustainability - Jude Capper, PhD. Issues with Antibiotic Use in...
On This Site
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs. It also includes Decision Support Matrices for rangeland ecosystems. The DSM's provide an outline, complete with references, to assist with the management of specific ecosystems that can be found on California rangelands.
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Our Rangelands: Exploring the rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Resources - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- UCCE Livestock & Range Beef Cattle Information - Within the beef pages you’ll find information from UCCE livestock & natural resources advisors and specialists; UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine researchers; and Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) scientists grouped by topics.
- eXtension Beef Cattle - links to the eXtension resources for Beef Cattle
- eXtension Small Meat Processors - links to the eXtension resources for Small Meat Processors.