Veterinarians and owners of commercial and backyard poultry are encouraged to submit sick or recently dead birds for necropsy (postmortem) examination to UC Davis Vet Med's Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory.
Carcasses must be delivered by overnight mail, shipping and handling costs are at the owner’s expense.
- Backyard flocks up to 1,000 birds:
- Fee is $20 per group of two; $120 for group of six on the same day
- Test code: 10843
- Backyard Submission Form
- Commercial operations (flocks of >1,000):
- Carcass(es) must be kept cold (in a cooler or equivalent do NOT freeze). Refer to Packaging Guidelines.
- Submission form must be included at time of submission. The submission form includes guidelines and shipping instructions.
- This program assists with the State’s surveillance program to monitor and detect immediate threats of disease.
- The Information obtained from the diagnostic work is invaluable for monitoring the spread of disease.