UCCE Sonoma County
University of California
UCCE Sonoma County

Grants & Loans


USDA Offers Support to People and Communities Affected by CA Wildfires

USDA Rural Development Disaster Assistance for CA

USDA Disaster Resources for Farmers, Ranchers and Communities

What Help is Available for What Types of Disaster, FLAG, 10/2015


State Programs

California Forest Improvement Program 20 to 5,000 acres of forest land (home/landowner groups ok) for the improvement of all forest resources. CFIP Fact Sheet, contact Meghan.Reeves@fire.ca.gov for more information.

Forest Health Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund for large forest acreage (thousands) projects to proactively restore forest health in order to reduce greenhouse gases, to protect upper watersheds. CalFire

Federal Programs

NRCS Disaster Assistance Programs, publications and resources.
Local office: 707-794-1242

FSA Disaster Assistance Programs at a Glance
Local office: 707-794-1242 ext 3

  • Disaster Set-Aside Program (DSA) available to producers who suffered losses as a result of a natural disaster and is intended to relieve immediate and temporary financial stress. USDA FSA
  • Emergency Asst for Livestock, Honeybee and Farm Raised Fish (ELAP) losses due to disease, adverse weather or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, not covered by other agricultural disaster assistance programs. USDA FSA
  • Emergency Forest Restoration Program 
    (EFRP) provides payments to eligible owners of nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) land in order to carry out emergency measures to restore land damaged by a natural disaster. USDA FSA
  • Emergency Loan Program to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters or quarantine. USDA FSA
  • Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) grazing losses due to a qualifying drought condition during the normal grazing period for the county. USDA FSA
  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by eligible loss conditions, including eligible adverse weather, eligible disease and eligible attacks. USDA FSA

**NEW** WHIP Program

2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program with FSA.

  • Applications accepted through Nov 16, 2018.
  • Wildfire Recovery: Any crop, tree, bush or vine, damaged by a 2017 wildfire is eligible.
  • Eligible Producers: Eligibility will be determined on an individual basis, using the level of insurance coverage purchased for 2017 for the total crop acres on the area for which the WHIP application is made. 
  • Crop Insurance Requirement: Both insured and uninsured producers are eligible to apply for WHIP. 

Click here for details

Tax Relief in Disaster

State of CA


California IBank: Low interest and state-guaranteed business loans and microloans affected by the fires. Small businesses, including small farms, nurseries, agriculture-related enterprises and nonprofits that have suffered an economic loss and/or physical damage may apply for the Disaster Relief Loan Guarantee Program (DRLGP) which offers loans up to $1 million for Disaster Relief Borrowers. IBank is offering micro loans from $500 to $10,000 to businesses in declared disaster and emergency areas through its Jump Start Loan Program.

SBA's Disaster Loans: Three step process to obtaining a very low interest loan for homeowners, renters and businesses. APPLICATIONS DUE BY DEC 11 for the fires. Free to apply, no obligation to take out loan if approved, but if deadline is missed, you won't have an opportunity to apply. Pro tip: apply for the loan and if you need it, it will be there. Apply online at SBA's secure website. SBA is a federal program. Not available for ag enterprises. 
For businesses: SBA has a local office at the Sonoma County Economic Development Board for information or assistance: 707-565-7170 or ethan.brown@sonoma-county.org. For Spanish language assistance contact marcos.suarez@sonoma-county.org or (707) 565-6402. For City of Santa Rosa affected businesses, call (707) 543-3059 or rdelarosa@srcity.org


  • Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program(NAP) financial assistance to producers of noninsurable crops to protect against natural disasters that result in lower yields or crop losses, or prevents crop planting. USDA FSA
  • Tree Assistance Program (TAP) eligible orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines lost by natural disasters. USDA FSA
  • Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP) any crop, tree, bush or vine, damaged by a 2017 wildfire is eligible.
  • Farm Service Agency Programs listing of all FSA programs. This agency provides America’s farmers with a strong safety net through the administration of farm commodity and disaster programs including purchasing and delivery commodities for use in international humanitarian food programs.

University of California Cooperative Extension, Sonoma County
133 Aviation Blvd Suite 109, Santa Rosa, CA 95403  Phone: 707.565.2621  Fax: 707.565.2623
Office Hours:  M-F, 8am-Noon & 1pm-4pm

Like us on Facebook: UCCE Sonoma                        Follow us on Twitter @UCCESonoma 

Webmaster Email: klgiov@ucanr.edu