Livestock and Range Management
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheets addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- Posters - resource information for poster sessions starting in 2020.
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
For producers doing organic livestock: USDA/AMS Proposing New Organic Livestock Regulations The United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Marketing Service proposes to amend the organic livestock and poultry production...
USDA Offers Resources to Expand Meat Processing The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced late last week the launch of the Meat and Poultry Processing Capacity Technical Assistance Program to provide technical assistance to meat and poultry grant...
USDA Providing Drought, Wildfire Payments to Livestock Producers The U.S Department of Agriculture announced this week that ranchers who have approved applications through the 2021 Livestock Forage Disaster Program for forage...
The following information came from the American Lamb Board. Changes in Mandatory Lamb Checkoff Collections at Auction Markets Announced While the American Lamb Checkoff rate is not changing, how the mandatory assessments are collected...
From time to time I find interesting research that sheds new light on specific topics that are worth sharing. Recently I came across one from researchers at my alma mater, the University of Arizona. The title is Jet Stream Changes Could Amplify...