Livestock and Range Management
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheets addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- Posters - resource information for poster sessions starting in 2020.
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
Support the American Shearing Team Producers looking to support the American team headed to the Golden Shears World Championships next month in Scotland can do so by purchasing a Team USA T-shirt or hoodie offered through American Hero...
I wanted to make sure you saw the final reminder for the climate-smart ag survey from UC Rangelands below. We want to make sure commercial-scale producers are well-represented in the responses. Please click bit.ly/rangeland23 to take the...
USDA Announces Grants to Expand Meat Processing The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced this week the availability of up to $125 million through two new grant programs that will create more options for meat and poultry...
After two years of Covid restrictions, I'm happy to say that I'll be doing our very popular week-long shearing school. The dates are March 20th through 24th, 2023. It will be located once again at the Twinning Barn near Ukiah. We will limit the...
For producers doing organic livestock: USDA/AMS Proposing New Organic Livestock Regulations The United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Marketing Service proposes to amend the organic livestock and poultry production...