Youth Poultry Showdown (May)
6th Annual Sonoma County
Youth Poultry Showdown
Presented by Penngrove 4-H Club
Saturday, May 18, 2024 Check In: 8:00 a.m.
Youth Agricultural Center: 6445 Commerce Blvd., Rohnert Park, CA
Activities Start: 9:00 a.m.
Registration Due Online by May 11, 2024 by 11:59pm
Exhibitor Fee $5; Entry Fee - $2 per entry in each category
Must pre-enter for all the categories below:
Photo Contest – Limit to 2 entries per youth. Photo taken by the exhibitor. Poultry related only. No photo larger than 8x10. No Frames. Should be presented on a matted board.
Poster Board- Educational – Limit to 2 entries per youth. Must be on poster board size: 24” x 36”, or tri-fold presentation board. Poultry related subject only.
Decorated Egg – Limit 2 entries. 1 egg consists of one entry, Egg must be hard boiled or blown, Egg is to be adorned, decorated, painted, or inked. Outline of egg must be recognizable. Egg decoration must be created by the exhibitor.
Live Poultry Judging Contest - participants evaluate four live birds and rank them.
Breed Identification Contest – participates will identify the breed, class, variety and comb type (single bird).
Natural Egg Competition – 3 Eggs – Limited to 2 entries per Division 1 entry consists of a group of 3 eggs. Judging Criteria: Shell color (when breed standard has stated color, variation from this penalized), shape, texture, uniformity. Entries shall note the breed of eggs, non-standard (non-recognized by APA), mix or unknown ancestry. For Division descriptions please refer to entry form.
Bird Show- Large Fowl, Bantams, Quail, Duck, Turkey and Pigeon Divisions – Limited to 2 entries per class. Refer to entry form for details on divisions and classes.
Showmanship Knowledge Quiz
Other possible activities: Egg Judging Demonstration Chicken Poop Bingo Rooster Crowing Contest
Egg Obstacle Course Skills Table
Entries and fees must be completed and paid by May 11, 2024 by 11:59pm. Entries to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org using the attached forms.
Please make check payable to Penngrove 4-H. Make sure exhibitor name is noted. Please mail by deadline to show secretary: Lisa Schuldt 1380 Helman Lane, Cotati, CA 94931. No Refunds.
Questions: Email - email@example.com
Rules and Notes:
- All entries must be emailed using the excel forms.
- When excel workbook opens please notice the tabs at the bottom. Start with the Coversheet Tab first, then proceed to the next tabs. It is best to fill out the excel spreadsheet entry form using a desktop computer as there are dropdown features that may not be seen using a smartphone or tablet.
- No entries will be accepted after the deadline or day of the event. You will receive a confirmation email that your entry was received. If you do not receive a confirmation within a couple of days please follow up with the show secretary.
- Please provide water and food dishes for your birds. Water will be available. Provide your own food for your birds.
- Depending on entries, your birds may be caged together.
- Birds will be housed outside under canopies.
- There will be no health inspection for your birds, however the bird may be excused from competition if it appears fatigued or out of condition at the discretion of the judge.
- Show will be presented as a Table Show. You may want to have a carrier to transport your bird from the housed area to the show table. In the event that your bird is called to be judged and you are in showmanship, it is ok for you to have a handler to bring your bird to the judging table.
- Food booth will be provided by Green Valley 4-H Club.
- There is a small garden area with tables to eat, may want to bring a chair.
- Still exhibits will be indoors for judging and display.
- Display mounts will be provided for the decorated egg categories.
- Plates will be provided for natural egg competition (3 eggs) display
- Announcement of Awards will be at the end of the Show.
Please wear your club 4-H T-shirts or 4-H uniform. A Special Award will be given to the Best Bird of Show and High Point Individual of the Showdown (the more you enter the better your chances).
Sponsorship: Interested in sponsoring an award, please contact Show Secretary Lisa at 707-974-8759