You can help 4-H youth learn and practice new skills
As a 4-H volunteer, you are important to help our youth "learn-by-doing". You will work side-by-side with 4-H youth in youth-adult partnerships, where you grow together in shared responsibility and decision-making.
Improve your own leadership skills
Volunteering in 4-H will not only benefit the youth you are working with, but you will also be able to learn and practice personal leadership skills. You will learn about and practice positive youth development and can take advantage of county and state leadership development conferences each year.
Ways you can volunteer
Volunteering in 4-H is flexible and rewarding. Share your expertise and experience with the youth and other volunteers to make things happen!
|Provide administrative support for a 4-H club as a 4-H Club Leader. Club Leader Position Description.||Share your expertise with 4-H youth as a 4-H Project Leader. Project Leader Position Description.||Help shape 4-H!|
|Spend a day or a few hours evaluating 4-H presentations.||Support 4-Hers as they plan and implement activities.||Serve as a 4-H Camp chaperone.|
Welcome to 4-H!
Thank you for your interest in becoming a 4-H adult volunteer. As a volunteer, you will play an important role in the development of young people, helping them to identify their spark and develop the skills and positive outcomes that lead to thriving. Below are the steps to becoming a volunteer. We look forward to working with you as a valuable asset to the 4-H Youth Development Program.
The State 4-H Office has implemented a new training requirement for 4-H adult volunteers in this program year 2017-2018. Before being approved in the 4hOnline enrollment system, volunteers will need to complete courses in https://campus.extension.org. Instructions for creating an account and completing these are included below.
We are happy that you have chosen to become involved as a volunteer for the Sonoma County 4-H Program. As you go through the process and complete the paperwork to become a 4-H volunteer, please do not hesitate to call our office with questions. You are in the right place if you plan to be a club leader, an assistant, a project leader or a resource person, available to assist your club with field trips, Chickenque etc.
- For support with 4hOnline: Please contact your 4-H Club’s Volunteer Enrollment Coordinator (VEC) or the UCCE Sonoma 4-H Office at email@example.com.
- For support with eXtension.org (the new online training): Please contact the State 4-H Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or the UCCE Sonoma 4-H Office at email@example.com.
4-H Adult Volunteer Initial (New) Appointment Process
Step-by-Step Instructions: New Volunteer Appointment Process 2023-2024
- Find a local 4-H Club at http://ucanr.edu/sonoma4h
Contact the 4-H Club Leader to obtain more information about 4-H.
- Complete the ADULT INTEREST SURVEY
- Submit 4-H adult volunteer application online at https://4h.zsuite.org/
Create a family profile, add a new adult application, enter all required information, and submit. 4hOnline adult
status will show as awaiting review.
- Complete required “2023-2024 California New Volunteer Training” in eXtension.
Go to https://campus.extension.org/enrol/index.php?id=2381. Create a new account, check your email and click on
the confirmation link, log into eXtension and click “2023-24 California New Volunteer Training” and enter the code
“Sonoma”. For technical support, contact
- Submit $33 program enrollment fee.
Contact your 4-H Club Leader and/or Volunteer Enrollment Coordinator to discuss payment options. Some 4-H
Clubs offer credit card payments while others only accept check or cash.
- Complete fingerprint background check – Live Scan – with the California Department of Justice.
Complete at any location that provides Live Scan. Fees vary between $20 and $60 depending on the provider.
TruScan Fingerprinting Services is no or low cost. Ask your 4-H Club Leader or Volunteer Enrollment Coordinator which location they recommend.
• Sonoma County locations: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations?county=Sonoma
• Email - Diego Mariscal - firstname.lastname@example.org for the appropriate Live Scan form for you.
- The application is reviewed by the Regional Program Coordinator. If approved, notification will be sent from 4hOnline.
Until your enrollment is approved, you are not authorized to conduct any 4-H meetings or activities, transport 4-H members, or perform other 4-H adult volunteer duties.
4-H Adult Volunteer (Returning) Re-Appointment Process
Step-by-Step Instructions: Returning Volunteer Appointment Process 2023-2024
Re-Appointment Deadline: December 8, 2023
- Submit your 4-H adult volunteer re-application in 4hOnline.
Login to your family profile at https://4h.zsuite.org/. Do not create a new duplicate account! Login to adult
record and click “Enroll for 2023-2024.” Enter all required information and submit. 4hOnline adult status will
show as awaiting review.
- Complete required “2023-2024 California Returning Volunteers Training” in eXtension.
Go to https://campus.extension.org/enrol/index.php?id=2380
Log into your account and click “California 4-H Returning Volunteers” and enter the code “Sonoma”.
• Abuse Risk Management for Volunteers (15 min) For technical support, please contact email@example.com.
- Submit $33 program enrollment fee.
Contact your 4-H Club Leader and/or Volunteer Enrollment Coordinator to discuss payment options. Some
4-H Clubs offer credit card payments while others only accept check or cash.
- The application is reviewed by the Regional Program Coordinator.
If approved, notification will be sent from 4hOnline. If there are any limitations on the appointment, a
subsequent letter will be sent. If not approved, a letter will be sent to you from the county director.
If your enrollment has not been submitted and approved before December 31, 2023, starting January 1, 2024 you are not authorized to conduct any 4-H meetings or activities, transport 4-H members, or perform other 4-H adult volunteer duties, until you have been re-appointed and approved.