4-H Project Proficiencies
Each year, a 4-H member enrolls in at least one project. Members participating for the first time may be encouraged to take on only one or two projects. As members gain experience, the size or depth of the project may increase or additional projects may be selected. Some project groups meet once a week, while others might meet once or twice a month. The purpose of these meetings is to guide the members in gaining knowledge, attitudes, skills, and habits needed to successfully navigate educational and professional pursuits, and their role as citizens in a complex world.
A 4-H project is:
- Planned work in an area of interest to the 4-H member.
- Guided by a 4-H adult volunteer who is the project leader.
- Aimed at planned objectives that can be attained and measured.
- Summarized by some form of record keeping.
- A minimum of six hours of project instruction.
Read more about what might be offered in each project by reviewing the 4-H Project Sheets.
Sonoma County 4-H Presentation Proficiency
The program allows members to be recognized for their individual accomplishments. Project Proficiency is a way to develop your skills and project information base. If a member completes a Proficiency level they should record their achievement under “Honors and Recognition” on their Personal Development Report Form in their Record Book. Any member who has given a presentation at County Presentation Day is eligible to participate in the Presentation Proficiency Program (whether they received a gold award or not), including Primary members. Does not include Share the Fun, Cultural Arts or Impromptu Presentations.
- To give 4-H members opportunities to share with others what they have learned in 4-H
- To recognize 4-H members who give presentations for various groups, thereby increasing their proficiency in making public presentations.
- To promote 4-H within our communities.
- GIVE A PRESENTATION AT COUNTY PRESENTATION DAY. This is a requirement because the presentation will be judged (with the exception of Primary presentations) and all members receive feedback.
- GIVE YOUR PRESENTATION A MINIMUM OF 5 ADDITIONAL TIMES.
- At least 2 of these must be given to non-4-H groups (service clubs, schools, etc.)
- 3 of these may be given to 4-H groups (Sectional and/or State Presentation Day, club meetings, project meetings, etc.) as long as there are at least five or more people present.
After each presentation, have an authorized adult (preferably not your parent) sign and date the Application for Presentation Proficiency. When you have completed 5 presentations (as outlined above) submit the application to your club leader for their signature of approval. Sign the application and send it to the 4-H Office by 3 PM on September 1. Late applications will not be accepted.
AWARDS: Appropriate medals will be awarded at the Annual Achievement Event held in the fall each year
These are "checklists" of things that you should learn in the course of a project. Youth are allowed to complete project proficiencies each 4-H year and they will receive pins for them in the fall of the following year. They must be turned in to your club leader in time to all be sent to the 4-H Office by September 1 - check with your club leader for more details. Late proficiencies will be held for award the following year.
Arts and crafts1 Arts and crafts2 Arts and crafts3
Avian Science1 Avian Science2 Avian Science3
Beef1 Beef2 Beef3
Cake Decorating1 Cake Decorating2
Camping and Hiking1 Camping and Hiking2 Camping and Hiking3
Cavy1 Cavy2 Cavy3
citizenship1 citizenship2 citizenship3
Clothing and Textiles1 Clothing and Textiles2 Clothing and Textiles3
Computers 1 Computers 2 Computers 3
Dairy Cattle1 Dairy Cattle2 Dairy Cattle3
Dairy Goat1 Dairy Goat2 Dairy Goat3
Dogs1 Dogs2 Dogs3
Fishing1 Fishing2 Fishing3
Floral design1 Floral design2
Food Preservation1 Food Preservation2 Food Preservation3
Food&Nutrition1 Food&Nutrition2 Food&Nutrition3 Food&Nutrition4 Food&Nutrition5
Gardening1 Gardening2 Gardening3
Home environment1 Home environment2 Home environment3
Horseman1 Horseman2 Horseman3
leadership1 leadership2 leadership3
Marine biology 1 Marine biology 2 Marine biology 3
Photography1 Photography2 Photography3
Poultry1 Poultry2 Poultry3
pygmy goats1 pygmy goats2 pygmy goats3
Rabbits1 Rabbits2 Rabbits3
scrapbooking1 scrapbooking2 scrapbooking3
Sheep1 Sheep2 Sheep3
Shooting Sports1 Shooting Sports2 Shooting Sports3
shotgun1 shotgun2 shotgun3
Swine1 Swine2 Swine3
Wildlife 1 Wildlife 2