4-H Summer Camp
The Sonoma County 4-H Summer Camp provides an outdoor setting for group living where young people can design a program to meet the needs of all youth. The camp experience will provide an opportunity for all participants to gain a deeper understanding of their relationships to their fellow man and the natural environment.
The core of the Sonoma County 4-H camp education program is to empower young people to share as partners in decision making, camp planning and implementation, and camp leadership on a day-to-day basis.
Goals of Camp
* To provide opportunities to experience personal growth in self-confidence and self-esteem.
* To develop an awareness, appreciation and understanding of the Las Posadas natural environment, including a concern for conservation and stewardship.
* To develop new friends and create lasting friendships.
* To develop a program that makes fun a priority.
* To provide outstanding learning opportunities.
* To develop opportunities for everyone to learn and practice leadership skills.
* To model group living skills in a healthy and safe environment.
As in most 4-H activities, camp is run by teens, called "staffers," who start meeting in the fall to organize all the aspects of camp- everything from the food to the themes for the events. There is one teen staffer to every five youth (called campers). There are, of course, adult chaperones there as well (one for every ten campers) and a nurse and a lifeguard on staff.
Campers take part in all the classic summer camp activities- hiking, arts and crafts, skits and songs around the campfire. Campers sleep outside under the stars- girls on one side, boys on the other. Each side has its own bathrooms and shower
Campers LOVE getting mail! Here's how to address it:
Sonoma County 4-H Camp Camp Tamarancho-1000 Iron Springs Road, Fairfax, CA 94930 Mendocino Woodlands-PO Box 267, Mendocino, CA 95460
There is a telephone at camp for emergencies only: Camp Tamarancho 415 454-1081 Mendocino Woodlands 707 937-3023
Chaperones must be 21 years of age and complete the enrollment process required to be a 4-H volunteer, which includes fingerprinting and a couple of online training courses. Adults must complete First Aid/CPR training and a basic food safety course. Please print your certificates and email then to UCCE staff at email@example.com.
- Chaperone Application
- Enroll/re-enroll online competed fingerprinting & leadership training
- Food Safety Test Online (Servsafe Food Handler) $15 (All encouraged to complete/required for Kitchen/Serving volunteers)
- Fingerprint Request Form
- First Aid Online Training
Camp is run by teens, called "staffers," who start meeting in the fall to organize all the aspects of camp- everything from the food to the themes for the events. There is one teen staffer to every five youth (called campers). To be on CAMP STAFF you must:
- Be an 8th grade graduate by June 2024.
- Have attended 4-H Camp at least once.
- Attend monthly Camp Planning Meetings.
- Attend at least 1 of the Staff Training Weekends.
- Attend the entire Camp session.
- You may only attend 1 camp session
STAFF ENROLLMENT OPEN: December 16th, 2023
ENROLLMENT CLOSES: February 26th, 2024
Staffer Application Important Dates
STAFF MEETING SCHEDULE: Meetings are on the fourth Monday of each month, from 6pm-8pm. January 22nd, February 26th, March 25th, April 22nd, May 27th, & June 24th (Camp 2 only)
STAFF MEETING LOCATION: YAL Center, 6445 Commerce Blvd, Rohnert Park
STAFF SPRING TRAINING WEEKENDS:
Camp 1-April 26-28 at Camp Tamarancho
Camp 2-May 17th-19th at Mendocino Woodlands
You MUST contact a coordinator if you cannot make the first meeting. If you have any questions feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Staffer and a parent or guardian must attend. If you have a conflict due to work or school or other 4-H activities, you must call your camp coordinator to have a conversation about your situation, before the meeting. Text and email and phone messages are not acceptable in this case. The phone numbers for your coordinators are in the email.
TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS FOR ENROLLMENT YOU MUST FILL OUT THE FOLLOWING COMPLETELY (include a picture with your staffer application):
STAFFER APPLICATION LINK
4-H ONLINE ENROLLMENT LINK ($63 4-H ENROLLMENT FEE)
PAY $250 CAMP FEE & $63 4-H ENROLLMENT FEE BY CHECK OR CASH AT THE ENROLLMENT MEETING)