Prescribed Burns in Sonoma County
About Prescribed Burns
To conduct any outdoor burning (beyond fire pits), approval must be obtained from your local district of the California Air Resources Control Board (CARB). CARB establishes the framework for the burn program and local air districts implement and enforce local rules and regulations.
A Smoke Management Plan (SMP) is required for prescribed burns. But the requirements for the SMP and steps for approval each CARB district differ. Best practices is to contact your local CARB district office early in the process.
Burning in Sonoma County
Sonoma County has two CARB Districts, they have different procedures for obtaining approval for control and agriculture burns.
Determine your ARB District by entering your address.
Once you know your district, learn steps to conduct prescribed burns:
Active Rx Fires
To learn where prescribed burns are occurring:
Living with Fire in the WUI: Q&A, May 2, 2019 YubaNet
Planned burns can reduce wildfire risks, but expanding use of 'good fire' isn't easy, April 25, 2019, The Conversation
The worst fire in CA history illuminates fire preparation needs, April 4, 2019, UCANR Green Blog
Catastrophic wildfires and climate change lead to growing acceptance of ‘pyrosilviculture’, Nov 15, 2018 UCANR GreenBlog
Why CA's Best Strategy Against Wildfire (Rx Burns) is Hardly Ever Used, July 16, 2018 KQED
- Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System an interface between air quality managers, land management agencies, and individuals that conduct prescribed burning in California. PFIRS enables individuals involved in prescribed burning the ability to view this information on a statewide level.
- CARB Maps a variety of air quality maps available on the CARB site.
- 7 Day Forecast by National Weather Service of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for Santa Rosa.
- Purple Air air quality and particulate sensors along with include temperature and humidity where available.
- Windy.com using Global Forecast System and NOAA Environmental Modeling System, shows the movement of wind world wide, zoom to your location.