Hero Image

Rx Burns: Northern Sonoma Co Air Pollution Control Dist

An Open Burn Permit is required to conduct prescribed burns over 3 acres in size in the Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District (NoSoCo Air).

A Smoke Management Plan (SMP) must be submitted through the Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS).



Steps Required

Landowners should contact NoSoCo Air with as much lead time as possible to start the process, applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start of burning. 

  • Create an account on Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS).
    Once account is created, complete the Smoke Management Plan.
    NOTE: if unsure, contact NoSoCo Air to determine if your project should use the Advanced or Short Form.
  • Contact and work with fire agency for property where the burn will occur, determine if the fire agency requires a burn permit.
  • If conducting burn during fire season (typically May 1-mid Fall) within the State Responsibility Area a burn permit from CalFireis required. Determine if you are in the SRA at this website. CalFire: 707-967-1400.
  • At least 30 days prior: complete Open Burn Application to register the burn and pay fees with the NoSoCo Air.
  • Approval will come from PFIRS or in writing from NoSoCo Air.

After SMP approval, prior to burn day:

  • Up to 72 hours prior, obtain weather forecast from the PFIRS site or NoSoCo Air.

Day of burn:

  • Prior to ignition: verify authorization with PFIRS site or NoCoSo Air.

Day after burn:

  • Report actual acres burned to PFIRS.


NoSoCo Air is updating their Open Burn Permit Program fees and streamlining permit types. Learn more at: Notice: Open Burn Permit Program Update and proposed fee schedule.