Fire Ecology & Management
Resources for Homeowners, Farmers & Property Managers
- UC Agriculture and Natural Resources' (ANR) Homeowner's Wildfire Mitigation Guide outlines steps to reduce the possibility of damage to your home from wildfires.
- ANR's Forest Stewardship Series: Wildfire and Fuel Management offers important information to help reduce the risk of wildfire on your property.
- UC Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program's Protecting Homes from Wildfire in Oak Woodlands discusses fire safety specific to residences in oak woodlands.
- UC Berkeley's Center for Fire Research and Outreach has developed the Fire Information Engine Toolkit, which includes a Homeowner Fire Hazard Assessment and other resources aimed at reducing the possibility of damage to your home in the event of a wildfire.
- The following organizations offer helpful information on fire preparedness and fire safety for homeowners and property managers:
- The following Fire Safe publications outline specific pre-fire activities to improve the survivability of people and homes in case of a fire:
- The California EPA Air Resources Board publication Agricultural Burning Self-Instruction Handbook discusses burning of agricultural materials produced on cultivated farmland.
Fire Ecology, Behavior & Management Resources
- Moritz Research and Outreach Lab at UC Berkeley
- Stephens Lab Research and Education in Wildland Fire Science at UC Berkeley
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire & Resource Assessment Program
- Pacific Biodiversity Institute Wildfire Information Center
- USDA Forest Service Fire & Aviation Management Branch and Fire and Environmental Research Applications Team
- USGS Western Ecological Research Center Fire Ecology Research
- National Wildfire Coordinating Group's Index of Wildland Fire Web Sites
- Association for Fire Ecology journal articles