Backyard Compost Education Program:
Since 1993, the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) has provided compost education for county residents with funding from the Sonoma County Waste Management Agency (SCWMA). In the last twenty three years, the program has helped reduce local landfill inputs each year by a range of 1,136 to 18,804 tons per year. This was done by making over 350,000 contacts with homeowners and backyard gardeners throughout the county.
From 1994-2013, surveys were conducted to document home composting by trained workshop and educational event participants, which provided the benchmark for tonnage diversion. According to those surveys we estimated that almost 64-70% of workshop contacts began or increased composting and reduced their input into the waste stream by 19.5-46.4 gallons per household per month.
On Farm Composting:
In June of 2016 UCCE coordinated a compost workshop for landscapers and small-scale farmers in cooperation with the SRJC Shone Farm, Sonoma Compost, the NRCS, Compost Coalition of Sonoma County and CAFF. It was funded by the Sonoma County Waste Management Agency.
With Sonoma Compost closed, there has been an opportunity for small-scale compost facilities to fill the local demand for high quality compost. Consequently, the workshop covered the benefits of compost, how to make compost, local experiences in making compost, and field demonstrations on chipping, mixing, turning, moisture control and screening compost.
The following, presentations, documents, and links will help you understand the uses and benefits of making compost plus they will give you practical tips on the specific techniques for making compost.
Presentations and information from June 2016 workshop:
- UCCE Compost Program in Sonoma County by Paul Vossen (pdf of PPT)
- On-Site Composting Presentation by Will Bakx 6-8-2016 (pdf of PPT)
- Mulch/Compost Calculator, Sonoma Compost by Will Bakx (Excel)
- One Page Compost Guide - by Will Bakx
- Nutrient Calculator: compost for vineyards - by Will Bakx (Excel)
- Compost Note Keeping by Will Bakx
- Compostable Plastics by Will Bakx
- Compost Turning Record by Temperature by Will Bakx (Excel)
- Benefits of Compost by David Crohn (pdf)
- Compost Mix Calculator aiming for a C:N ratio of 30
- Green Mountain Technologies Compost Calculator a plan, or recipe, to get your compost mix right
Compost Use Calculator (On-line)
Compost & Mulch Calculator by Saving Water Partnership of Seattle
- Compostable Materials Handling Operations and Facilities Regulatory Requirements
- Composting Operation and Facility Siting and Design Standards
Water Resources Control Board orders:
- Concepts for a Proposed Statewide Order for Composting Facilities 2011
- General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities 2014
Emission Reductions Analysis For Revised Proposed New Rule 4566 - San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
Microbiological Testing by Soil Foodweb Laboratories
Cornell Waste Management Institute of Cornell University
Persistent Herbicide Links
- Dow AgroSciences: Clopyralid-containing herbicides from PR Newswire, 2002
- Data on Clopyralid Effects presented in Sacramento to CA Department of Pesticide Regulation, 2003
- Clopyralid in Compost by Washington State University. Bioassay Test for Herbicide Residues in Compost Protocol for Gardeners & Researchers
- Tainted Manure: Clopyralid herbicide shows up in Organic Dairy Manure by Sonoma Gazette, 2012
- Persistent Herbicides by US Composting Council
BioCycle, the Organics Recycling Authority