Livestock and Range Management
Stephanie Larson - Livestock & Range Management Advisor
The livestock and range program works with ranchers and producers, addressing such topics as animal health and welfare, marketing, and the management of range and natural resources.
The livestock and range program also cooperates with local resource agencies, conducting research in the wise stewardship of lands, humane methods of predator control, and sustainable agriculture for the livestock industry.
On This Site
- Sonoma Sustainable Initiative a multidisciplinary approach to managing working landscapes in Sonoma County.
- Drought Management strategies for livestock & range management.
- Value Chain Analysis - These economic impact analyses provided estimates of how each agricultural business, dairy, grass-fed beef and grain operations, affect both job creation and generate business and tax revenue in the North Bay.
Livestock & Range Management
- Grass-fed Livestock - Includes a video produced by UCCE Sonoma County outlining grass-fed livestock management practices as well as links to a variety of resources.
- Grazing Management Fact Sheet addresses styles of grazing management, carrying capacity and reasons to graze.
- Grazing on Public Lands fact sheets designed to educate park visitors about the importance of working landscapes.
- Rangeland Ecosystem Services - Includes information on different ecosystem services, existing ecosystem services markets, valuation tools, mitigation banks and government programs.
Additional Local Resources
- Fact Sheets - Pasture management and rangeland management fact sheets.
- Our Rangelands Curriculum: Exploring the Rangelands of Sonoma County and Beyond - lesson plans for grades 4 through 6.
- Sonoma Creek Watershed Grazing Waiver - UCCE assistance for landowners in this watershed.
Additional Publications & Resources
- eXtension Livestock Management - resources for beef cattle
- Publications - links to resources and sites about livestock and range management.
- UC Rangelands resources for livestock and range managers.
UCCE Livestock & Range Blogs
From UCANR California Agriculture magazine Using InVEST to assess ecosystem services on conserved properties in Sonoma County, CA The purchase of conservation easements on agricultural land is one approach to preventing...
On a global scale, rangelands are a fairly diverse array of biomes - deserts, scrub, prairies, and chaparral, but in Sonoma County, they comprise oak savannahs and grasslands; one such is our vernal pools. Vernal pools are defined by the US Environmental...
Conservation Easement Payment Structures: Lump Sums, Annuities, and Payments for Ecosystems Services
Rangeland owners in the Bay Area face substantial pressure to develop their land. The short term financial gains from developing rangeland for vineyards or residential construction can be very large. In Sonoma and Marin Counties several...
The Santa Rosa Junior College Range Management class toured Point Reyes National Seashore (PRNS) to learn about the park history, livestock grazing, and issues surrounding public land management. The class met with Range Management Specialist, Dylan...
The Santa Rosa Junior College Range Management class visited Pepperwood Preserve to learn about the livestock grazing program and their range management plan's goals. Pepperwood Preserve is a 3,120-acre nature preserve in northeast Sonoma County...