Nutrition and Consumer Sciences
The Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Science program provides consumers with information in nutrition, food safety, and food preservation.
Food Service Survey:
- Local Produce Survey of School Foodservice Leaders in Sonoma County This survey was developed by the Sonoma County Department of Health Services and the Sonoma County Food System Alliance Farm to Institution Committee to gauge the interest in Sonoma County school meal program directors in procuring and using local produce in their school meal program. Local for this survey means grown in Sonoma County.
- Nutrition.gov: US federal guide offering access to all government web sites with reliable and accurate information on nutrition and dietary guidance.
- MyPyramid.gov: MyPyramid offers personalized eating plans and interactive tools to help you plan/assess your food choices based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Nutritiondata.com: Find nutrition facts, including food labels, calories, nutritional information and analysis that helps promote healthy eating by telling you about the foods your eating.
- A Saver's Guide to Eating and Living Well by MoneyGeek
Food Safety and Preservation Links: Information on safely canning, pickling, freezing, and drying various foods.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation: Your source for current research-based recommendations for most methods of home food preservation.
- FoodSafety.gov: Your Gateway to Federal Food Safety Information
- Food Safety Education: Food safety education for consumers and consumer advice; includes links and resources for educators.
Information Available from the ANR Catalog:
- Apples: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy
- Cantaloupe: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy
- Drying Foods at Home
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, & Enjoy
- Harvesting and Storing Your Home Orchard's Nut Crop: Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, and Chestnuts
- Making Table Wine at Home
- Olives: Safe Methods for Home Pickling
- Oranges: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy
- Peppers: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, & Enjoy
- Protecting Food Safety When Shooting, Field Dressing, Bringing a Deer Home . . .
- Safe Methods of Canning Vegetables
- Strawberries: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy
- Tomatoes: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy